Most sewing projects involve trimming off fabric that you don’t need, and very often that fabric goes to waste but it doesn’t have to. There are loads of ways that you can make something cute and useful out of your leftovers.
If you’ve got a larger scrap hanging around, consider making some cute ornaments. This owl ornament was make using felt, ribbon, beads and thread and can work well on a tree or on a package. Leave out the earmuffs and you can make an owl friend to have around year round.
Smaller scraps are great for making cute magnets or little decorative items to place around the house.
Of course, these are only a few ways that you can make use of your scraps. Here are a few more ideas to help you think of useful ways to reuse.
- iPod Cozy– You’ll only need a tiny bit of fabric to make a cute home for your iPod with this tutorial.
- Keychains– Leftover ribbons and fabric can be turned into stylish key chains.
- Eyeglass Case– Keep your sunglasses or regular glasses safe from scratches by trying out this project.
- Fabric Trim Boxes– With this project you’ll be able to stay organized and use up leftover materials.
- Quilted Cards– Personalize your communication with handmade cards embellished with fabric scraps.
- Decorative Thumbtacks– Keep your bulletin board from being ordinary by whipping up these custom tacks.
By using your scraps you’ll be able to feel good about wasting less and get something cute to keep for yourself or give away in the process.