Our master bathroom is anything but masterful. Not only is it tiny (smaller than most master closets, I’d guess), it was also very poorly DIY’d by the last owners. While we could live with the finishes not quite being to our taste, what we couldn’t live with were some potentially destructive and dangerous decisions made by the previous owners to 1) wire the bathroom fan directly next to the pipes for the shower and 2) to create a shower pan that slopes outward so that the water pools, gets nasty, and, it is looking very likely, leaks into the surrounding walls.
Rather than just tackle those issues, we decided to just redo the whole thing in one go since we already didn’t like the look of it. The actual master bath renovation probably won’t start for a couple more months (contractors around here are crazy booked!), but we’ve already started picking out the finishes we want for the room.
Here are a few of the things we’ve picked out or purchased so far, though the plan could change down the line.
- Schoolhouse Two-Light Bath Light: This light offers a bit of a vintage vibe while still maintaining a classic look. Plus, at $92, the price isn’t terrible either.
- Archer Single Door Medicine Cabinet from Kohler: Our bathroom is SUPER small (did I mention that? I’m short and I can practically touch wall to wall), so I’ve been dying to add a medicine cabinet to the space. This one is simple and unfussy and gives us the storage that we desperately need.
- Reclaimed Pine Floating Shelf: I got three of these to go over our toilet (on sale and I had a coupon, score!) to offer some additional storage space and to warm things up a bit since everything else is very cool and slick.
- White 2.5 inch Hexagon Tile: I love this marble hexagon tile for the floor. The shower floor and the backs of some recessed niches in the wall will be a smaller hex like this tile.
- Ombre Bath Mat: I can’t say that I’ve ever bought a ton of stuff from CB2, but this bath mat looks cushy and it has the right color combo.
- Benjamin Moore Horizon or Moonshine: Not quite sure which of these I like best. I am planning to do some sampling, but I’m thinking a light gray is the way we’ll go.
- Terrarium and air plant: I found a little glass terrarium (candleholder? Not sure what it’s actually supposed to be) at Hobby Lobby and I want to throw in a few air plants for some greenery.
- Madison Single Bathroom Vanity: Not sure if this is the exact vanity we’ve settled on, but something like it. White base, marble top, chrome faucet and pulls and full size, not a mini one like what we have now.
- White Subway Tile: We want to keep things pretty simple and classic, so subway tile in white with white grout is probably going to be what we do. Plus, it’s much less expensive than many other kinds of tile, which is a big help to the budget.
- Black, White and Gray Ikat Fabric: I got this fabric at Joann but I cannot find it on their website (or any other site) to link to it. It was super cheap ($2) but I got enough to make a cute little valance for the the window in there.
- Nate Berkus Bath Towels: So, one time I forgot our towels in the washer and they got a bit of a funk that has yet to seem to want to wash out. I’m so ready to fresh new ones, and the charcoal will be nice for hiding any stray mascara that might get on them (I apparently suck at washing my face, too).
I’m so excited to get this process going and to finally have a bathroom that doesn’t make me feel like I have to clean it every day or wear shower shoes. Counting down the days until renovation!